On May 15, 2017, the Borough of Bellmawr hosted a Brownfield Development Area (BDA) Committee Meeting for the purpose of providing an update on the remediation efforts at the designated Waterfront Redevelopment area.
SJO was not in attendance at the meeting, but the Borough of Bellmawr has uploaded the presentation on its website.
Click to hear their message
According to the presentation, the purpose of the eight million tons of soil for the Capping Soil Reuse Program:
- Meets New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) landfill closure requirements.
- Contained 4.3 million cubic yards of solid waste.
- Allows for the creation of public park land.
- Promotes commercial redevelopment.
- Inhibits generation of contaminated waste water.
- Reduces the migration of contaminants to waterways.
Bellmawr Waterfront Development has 113 acres of old landfills.
The Remediation Completion Summary indicates:
Phase I remediation and closure is substantially complete, the LRSP (Licensed Site Remediation Professional) has been issued and the installation of the Passive Methane Venting System remains.
Phase II is 90% complete with construction of final cap system remaining.
Phase III is 70% complete with final landscaped cap of sideslopes and top elevations remaining and also stormwater drainage channels on sideslopes.
To view the presentation, which contains more details, click the image below: