The Commissioner of the New Jersey Department of Transportation has received a Diagnostic Team Report from the Bureau of Structural & Railroad Engineering Services (BSRES) recommending revisions to the Highway-Rail At-Grade Crossing of the SMS Rail Services Incorporated (“SMS Rail Line”, Westville Rail Branch Line at Gateway Boulevard/State Highway Route 45 USDOT # 586263H).
The installation of any new At-Grade Crossing, removal of an At-Grade Crossing or changes to an At-Grade Crossing requires the Commissioner of New Jersey Department of Transportation approval.
If approved, the revisions at the Gateway Boulevard/Route 45 Crossing would include:
- Railroad At-Grade Crossing Surface redesign with modernized Concrete Type Panels with Smooth Transition Asphalt Approaches
- Replacement of the existing Railroad Active Warning Devices with supporting Mast and Foundations on the Northwest (NW) and Southeast (SE) Quadrants of CR# 586263H.
- Upgrading and Installing New Railroad Flashing Light Signals Design and Automatic Roadway and Pedestrian Gates.
Revisions in the NW & SE Quadrants:
- Replace/Update /Reposition/Install a New Upgraded Active Railroad Cantilevered Flashing Light Signal and Automatic Roadway Gate Warning Device with post-mounted Back-to-Back twelve-inch (12″) Light-Emitting Diode (LED) Flashing-Light Signals affixed on the supporting Mast directed/situated towards the Northbound and Southbound traveled way and approaches
- The Cantilever Arm with walkout access extended to the center-line of roadway with mounted Back-to-Back twelve-inch (12″) Light-Emitting Diode (LED) Flashing-Light Signals situated over each of the approaching roadway traveling lanes facing the Northbound and Southbound traveled ways
- Back-to-back retro-reflective Railroad Grade Crossing Crossbuck Signs (MUTCD R15-1) on the supporting mast and cantilevered arms directed/situated towards the Northbound, and Southbound traveled way and approaches
- Installing new mast-mounted MUTCD (I-13) Emergency Notification Signs (ENS) for Crossing Identification & Emergency number and new mast-mounted “DO NOT STOP ON TRACK” (MUTCD R8-8) signs on both NW and SE Quadrants
- Installation of an Active Stand-Alone Railroad Automatic Pedestrian Gate Warning Device with Mast and Foundation protecting the pedestrian sidewalk approach on the NW & SW Quadrants.
- Installation of a mast-mounted Electronic Pulse Railroad Crossing Bell on the NW Quadrant.
- Remove/Replace/Update/Installation of a New Railroad Circuitry-Signal & Equipment House to accommodate this crossing and the upgraded Active Railroad Warning Devices on the NW, SE, and SW Quadrants.
The Diagnostic Team recommends these improvements to this crossing.
The Department’s Bureau of Railroad Engineering Services Unit recommends to the Commissioner the above-mentioned permission be approved, unless contested.
All related documents are available for inspection between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday at:
The Bureau of Railroad Engineering Services
1035 Parkway Avenue
Trenton, New Jersey 08625.
Any interested party may submit questions, comments, or objections in writing no later than April 9, 2021.
All submissions regarding this matter should be directed to:
Todd R. Hirt, Supervising Engineer
Bureau of Railroad Engineering Services Unit
New Jersey Department of Transportation
1035 Parkway Avenue
Trenton, New Jersey 08625