Community Submitted Content
NJM Insurance Group (NJM), in partnership with the Pennsylvania DUI Association (PA DUI) and the Brain Injury Alliance of New Jersey (BIANJ), is awarding a total of $60,000 to the winning high schools of the third annual “Just Drive” public service announcement (PSA) video contests.
Students representing 106 high schools in New Jersey and Pennsylvania created 30-second video PSAs highlighting the dangers of distracted driving.
Raising awareness of the issue among teens is critical, since, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, nine percent of fatal teen crashes involve distracted driving.
The three winning New Jersey schools are:
- First Place: Lenape High School District (Medford, NJ) won $15,000. Their PSA, “By the Numbers” highlighted the four distractions that could lead to a crash.
- Second Place: Egg Harbor Township High School (Egg Harbor Twp., NJ) won $10,000. Their PSA, “Cyber Superhero” highlighted how drivers should avoid distractions, buckle up and just drive.
- Third Place: Columbia High School (Montclair, NJ) won $5,000. Their PSA, “Take Action, Stop Distractions” highlighted restricting the number of passengers and limiting distractions.
The three winning Pennsylvania schools are:
- First Place: South Fayette High School (McDonald, PA) won $15,000. Their PSA, “What’s Your Reason?” highlighted the consequences of distractions and the importance of focusing on the road.
- Second Place: Hazleton Area High School (Hazle Township, PA) won $10,000. Their PSA, “Stay Alive #JustDrive” highlighted the dangers of texting and posting while driving.
- Third Place: CLASS Academy (Baden, PA) won $5,000. Their PSA, “It’s Not a Race, #JustDrive Safe!” highlighted that driving is not a game and you can easily be eliminated if you don’t follow the rules.
The competition presents a creative opportunity for teens to express safe driving practices. The winning schools will receive funds toward a post-prom, post-graduation, or safe driving program.
“The collaboration with BIANJ and PADUI helps us to reach as many students as possible in New Jersey and Pennsylvania,” said Violet Marrero, NJM’s consumer safety director. “Watching teens work together to become safe driving ambassadors and end distracted driving has instilled tremendous confidence in us that safer roads are achievable.”
“Each year we are impressed and inspired by the creative approaches students take in developing safe driving messages,” said Felicity DeBacco-Erni, project director at PA DUI. “We’re delighted to continue our relationship with NJM to work together educating Pennsylvania teens on the importance of safe driving.”
“The peer to peer engagement among our New Jersey high school students has been tremendous, and we are proud of the time they’ve invested toward safe driving messaging,” said Wendy Berk, vice president of development and communications at BIANJ. “NJM is a dedicated safety advocate and a strong supporter of our Annual U Got Brains Champion Schools Program. We’re honored to extend this partnership to include the ‘Just Drive’ PSA Contest.”
About NJM Insurance Group
Founded in 1913, NJM is a leading property and casualty insurer in the Mid-Atlantic region.
The Company offers auto, homeowners, renters, and umbrella coverage in Connecticut, New Jersey, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.
Headquartered in West Trenton, NJ, NJM employs nearly 2,500 workers and operates in a mutual fashion for the exclusive benefit of its customers. For more information, visit njm.com.
About NJM’s Teen Driver Safety Program
JM’s nationally recognized, award-winning Teen Driver Safety Program is available at no cost to Connecticut, New Jersey, Ohio, and Pennsylvania high schools.
The program was recognized in 2016 by the National Safety Council for its demonstrated results in reducing behaviors among teens that lead to crashes.