New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials recently announced the overnight closure on Monday of Route 42 northbound lanes and Exit 1B to I-295 northbound as the Direct Connect project advances in Bellmawr.
Route 42 NB Closure:
NJDOT’s contractor, South State, Inc., will close the two right lanes on Route 42 northbound from 10 p.m. Monday, May 16 until 5 a.m. Tuesday, May 17 just past Exit 14/Leaf Avenue, and Exit 1B to I-295 northbound will be closed and detoured to repair the attenuator at the exit and restripe the lanes approaching the exit.
The following detour will be in place overnight:
Route 42 north Exit 1B ramp to I-295 north detour:
- Motorists traveling on Route 42 northbound wishing to take Exit 1B to I-295 northbound will be directed to continue on Route 42 northbound to I-76 westbound
- Take I-76 westbound to Exit 2/I-676 northbound
- Take I-676 northbound to Exit 1/Collings Avenue
- Turn right onto Collings Avenue
- Turn left onto I-676 southbound which becomes I-76 eastbound
- Take I-76 eastbound to Exit 1B/I-295 northbound
The work is part of the Direct Connect project that will provide a seamless route for I-295 motorists traveling through the interchange of I-295, I-76, and Route 42.
Portable variable message signs are being utilized to provide advance notification to the public of all traffic pattern changes associated with the work.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors.
*Post has been updated.