The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT), is holding a Virtual Public Information Center (PIC) from Wednesday, June 1 to Wednesday, June 15, 2022 to provide local residents, officials, businesses, and the general public with information on the Route 42 Southbound, Leaf Avenue Extension to Creek Road (CR 753) Project.
NJDOT is committed to developing transportation improvements that best balance transportation needs, the environment, community concerns, and costs.
There will be a Virtual Public Information Center (PIC) to provide local residents, officials, businesses, and the general public with information on the Route 42 Southbound, Leaf Avenue Extension to Creek Road (CR 753) Project.
You are encouraged to actively participate by providing comments by mail or email.
Click Image to View in Detail
The project study was identified during the advancement of the I-295/Route 42 Missing Moves Project, which is currently under construction in the Borough of Bellmawr, County of Camden.
The Borough of Bellmawr presented their desire to extend Leaf Avenue to Creek Road (CR 753) to provide future access to the Bellmawr Waterfront Development Site.
Due to the Right of Way acquisition required, it was determined by NJDOT to advance this Concept Development (CD) study of the local traffic instead of delaying the Missing Moves Project.
The purpose of this project is to alleviate regional traffic delays which occur on Creek Road (CR 753) due to operational and geometric deficiencies at the intersection of Creek Road (CR 753) and Harding Avenue in the Borough of Bellmawr.
Through the concept development study, the extension of Leaf Avenue to Creek Road (CR 753) was determined to be the Preliminary Preferred Alternative (PPA), based on an evaluation of cost, constructability and community impacts.
The project will include the following:
- Widening Leaf Avenue to be two thru lanes in each direction and extending Leaf Avenue to the west to Creek Road (CR 753) and installing a new traffic signal at this new intersection.
- Installing a new signalized intersection on Leaf Avenue just west of Stanley Avenue to provide access to the Bellmawr Waterfront Development Site to the south of Leaf Avenue.
- Converting Harding Avenue and Coolidge Avenue to one-way streets and installing an access road between the two. Access between Harding Avenue and Leaf Avenue and Coolidge Avenue and Leaf Avenue would be eliminated.
- Stanley Avenue would be paved and converted to a cul-de-sac.
- The existing traffic signal at the intersection of Creek Road (CR 753) and Harding Avenue would be removed.
The construction would be done in two stages. Traffic would be maintained throughout construction and all local business access would remain open during all stages of construction.
- Concept Development Complete: Conclude Spring 2023 (estimated)
- Preliminary Engineering Complete: Conclude Fall 2024 (estimated)
- Final Design Complete: Conclude Fall 2026 (estimated)
- Construction: Conclude Fall 2028 (estimated)
For further information, please contact:
Kimberly Nance or Christopher Yandoli
New Jersey Department of Transportation
Office of Community Relations
P.O. Box 600,
Trenton, NJ 08625-0600
Article originally posted May 19, 2022; Updated/Edited on May 30, 2022 at 11:30 a.m.; Updated/Edited: June 1, 2022 at 11:00 a.m.