New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials announced on September 10, 2021 that Creek Road will be closed this weekend to shift traffic onto the newly constructed portion of the Creek Road Bridge over I-295 as the I-295/Route 42 Missing Moves project advances in Bellmawr.
This work was originally scheduled for the weekend of August 27 but was postponed due to weather.
Beginning at 9 p.m. tonight, Friday, September 10, until 6 a.m., Monday, September 13, NJDOT’s contractor, South State Inc., is scheduled to close and detour Creek Road between Booth Drive and Essex Avenue to pave, relocate construction barrier and restripe the roadway in order to shift traffic onto the newly constructed westbound side of the bridge.
Local access will be maintained. If work is completed earlier, the road will reopen sooner.
The following signed detour will be in place:
Creek Road westbound detour:
- Motorists traveling westbound on Creek Road will be directed to take a left onto Edgewood Avenue
- Turn right onto Leaf Avenue
- Take the ramp onto Route 42 north which becomes I-76 north
- Take Exit 1C/Route 130 southbound
- At the end of the ramp, turn left onto Market Street
- Turn left onto Route 130 south
- At the traffic circle follow signs for Creek Road and take the fourth exit for Route 130 north
- Keep right and turn onto Old Salem Road
- Turn left onto Creek Road
Creek Road eastbound detour:
- Motorists traveling on Route 47 northbound wishing to turn right onto Creek Road eastbound will be directed to continue into the traffic circle
- Take the first exit onto Route 130 northbound
- Turn right onto West Browning Road back to Creek Road
During this stage of construction, traffic will be shifted to the newly constructed westbound side of the bridge with one lane maintained in each direction to allow for the demolition and reconstruction of the eastbound side of the bridge.
NJDOT will provide advance notice before any lane closures or traffic shifts are implemented.
This stage of the project is expected to be completed by the summer 2022.
These are commonly known as the “missing moves.” The project will also include the demolition and reconstruction of the Creek Road Bridge over I-295 between Route 42 and Almonesson Road.
The majority of the project will be built off of the roadways and will have minimal impact on traffic on Route 42 and I-295.
The project is expected to be completed in late 2023.
Variable Message Signs are being utilized to provide advance notification to the motoring public of all traffic pattern changes associated with the work.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors.
*Post has been updated.