A Safe Exchange Zone has been installed at Bellmawr Borough Hall, 21 E. Browning Road.
The Safe Exchange Zone can be used for child custody exchanges and provides a layer of security for residents who engage in online transactions from websites such as Craig’s List or Facebook yard sale groups.
The area is under video surveillance. However, police officers will not intervene or act as witnesses or negotiators for transactions or purchases.
It is recommended that the zone be used during normal business hours (Monday-Friday) because police personnel are not in the police station at all times.
The community is reminded that when making arrangements to complete any online or other face-to-face transaction, the following precautions should be taken:
- Complete all transactions during daylight hours, if possible.
- Bring a cell phone in case of emergency.
- Notify friends or family about the details of the exchange beforehand.
- Never invite strangers to your home or agree to meet at a stranger’s home.
- Reconsider any transaction with an individual who refuses to meet at a designated “Internet Purchase Exchange Zone.”